Monday, February 20, 2006

Lamorinda Dem Club Candidates Forum

Really great event at the Lamorinda Dem Club. All three candidates (Filson, McNerney, Thomas) were passionate, eloquent, and energized.

Personally, I wanted to hear the candidates speak more about CA-11 issues rather than the much discussed national issues like Iraq, NSA spying, and the federal response to Hurricane Katrina.

I'd like to comment on one thing that jumped out at me during the evening. Both McNerney and Thomas included a statement something to the effect of: "I support a Bush impeachment". In my opinion, they could use more effective messaging around their position on this issue.

I believe Dems should be placing this issue squarely in the "Congressional Oversight" frame rather than in the "Impeachment" frame. The politics surrounding the narrower "Impeachment" frame are very difficult and we don't need the extra baggage it brings. (To be clear, I'm commenting on the messaging here not the underlying position on the issue.)

Overall, I'm really glad I attended and I'm heartened that there are 3 solid guys running for this seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home