Saturday, January 19, 2008

McNerney's bipartisanship on Iraq

Here is a Danville Weekly story that got me reminiscing about McNerney's stance on the Iraq war.
Criticism rained on U.S. Rep. Jerry McNerney last week at Faz restaurant for his support of setting a timetable to withdraw troops from Iraq.

"I can't forgive you for setting a timetable," said Bill Baker, a former Republican congressman who lives in Danville. "It's unrealistic."

"We are seeing progress," he added. "I hope you reconsider your position. We should not have a debate about that."

Listeners surrounding Baker gave him a round of applause and cheers.
Then McNerney (D., 11th District) responded.

"Thanks for your comments, Bill," McNerney said. "The war is hurting our country. We need to hold the Iraqis accountable. They need to take steps in (keeping) their responsibilities."
I can only think McNerney's stance on Iraq was designed to prevent such things and give him an aura of bi-partisanship. Granted, the folks at this meeting were obviously partisan - Bill Baker is helping Jerry's opponent, Dean Andal - but I suspect many GOP'ers would have the same reaction.

I'm reminded of something Jerry said not too long ago when the blogosphere was hopping mad about McNerney's post-Iraq trip comments. Here's Jerry talking about Iraq in August 2007
I truly believe that the best and soonest way to end this tragic war is to work with open-minded Republicans to find an acceptable end date. That’s what I believe, and that’s what I will fight for.
I can only hope such outbursts from bloodthirsty GOP'ers will serve to inform Jerry about how they operate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home